Penny stocks: There is always a risk factor associated with every stock, however being traded at few counters, the penny stocks are little more risky. The risk factor increases if you avoid some precautions that are necessary.
Risks: The investment in penny stocks is highly risky due to various factors. Some of the common risks are as given below.
– There is no reliable and authentic information available for penny stocks. Whatever the information comes to us that comes either through stockbrokers or through the agents of companies offering penny stocks. The seller or broker who sells the penny stocks might get money from the company for selling the shares and therefore can mislead the investor. It is therefore necessary for the investor to carry out the detailed research before investing in penny stocks.
– It is sometimes difficult to find the buyer of specific penny stocks you have purchased from the broker even the same broker may not be interested to repurchase the stocks from you.
-Sometimes the companies having no financial asset or no financial history comes in the market and collect money from investors and therefore before investing in penny stocks, you should study the company offering the penny stocks. You should study the prospectus of the company very carefully and should see whether the share prices of the stocks are justified. Some of the dealers sometime inflate the stock prices fraudulently.
– You should know your broker, as he is the main person to whom you are dealing. Ask about him from some of the other dealers and customers. You should seek complete market information from your broker including the difference in bid and sale prices of the stocks. Ask him to provide his suggestions in writing and seek a second opinion about the recommendations he made.
– You should know the nature of the stock on offer. Many times the initial public offers are more risky than other. You should invest your money after satisfying yourself from the various factors including the financial conditions and assets of the company. Sometimes you may lose a majority of your investment or your entire investment in a specific penny stocks if a careful and wise decision is not made.
– Before making an investment in a specific penny stock, you may ask about your broker’s history including any disciplinary action taken against him or her from NASD. You can also seek additional information about your broker from your state office of SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission). If still you think that you have become a victim of fraud, our federal law has provisions of rights and remedies available to you. You can file a complaint at the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Summary: Although investment in every stock is risky, even then taking some precautionary steps you can avoid risk in penny stock up to a great extent. One of the major precautionary steps is avoid hurry and do thorough research before investing in penny stocks.
Penny stocks: Penny stocks are the small value shares that are generally preferred by many people for investments. These shares can easily be purchased in pennies and that’s why are preferred for investments. However the investment in penny stocks is risky as you are not aware about the nature and background of the company where you are investing your money. Therefore all the precautions must be taken before investing in penny stocks and a thorough research about the company offering penny stocks is helpful in deciding in favor or against a specific penny stock.
Investment in penny stocks: A wise decision and through research about the penny stocks can be rewarding otherwise this is the highly risky market. You have to be careful and should never purchase the stocks being offered to you almost free or even in a few pennies. There are some good stocks on offer and in past a few stocks offered at 10 to 20 cents have crossed the five dollar mark although majority of stocks fails to do so.
Many people see the investment in penny stocks as an opportunity to earn a few dollars at the same time invest low amount so that the risk is minimum. People get learning experience while trading in penny stocks. People also develop some research skill about the companies offering penny stocks. It is good to learn about stock market by investing a small amount and therefore the basics of investment and trading can be easily understood.
Precautions: As investment in penny stocks is highly risky and therefore some precautions are necessary to avoid loss in this market. As the information about penny stocks do not come from reliable source, you should get the second opinion from another broker before making any investment in the particular penny stocks. Do not purchase the stocks in hurry as most of the time the broker will not give you sufficient time to make a decision. Think twice before making any investment and do not invest too much in a single stock.
You may get emails or phone calls about some of the penny stocks. The brokers or companies pay for such phone calls or email spammers and therefore you should avoid investing in such stocks. Many times lot of rumors are spread about some of the penny stocks and you should be alert and never pay attention to such rumors. It is better to consult financial consult or take second opinion before investing in any penny stock. Many times companies or broker may mislead you y offering free stocks or newsletters, you should avoid all such offers.
Summary: Many penny stocks has grown tremendously in the past from a mare 10 or 20 cent and crossed $5.0 mark. A lot of rumors prevails in the penny stock market so a wise decision can give you some profit otherwise you may lose your money.
Penny Stocks: There is full-fledged market for the penny stocks, however these stocks have very limited liquidity. One of the reasons for the penny stock market‘s volatility is its limited liquidity, however the penny stock markets are very popular.
Penny stocks, sometimes also termed as micro cap are low priced stocks generally traded in over the counter market. Most of the stocks are available in a penny that’s why these are known as penny stocks.
The penny stocks are generally offered by a company having less than 3 years in business and have less than $5 million net tangible assets or a company has at least 3 years in business and has under $2 million net tangible assts or a company has $6 million revenue for 3 years.
Over The Counter Bulletin Board: OTCBB (Over the counter bulletin board) provides complete information for more than 3000 stocks including real time quotes display, last sale price and volumes. These equities are generally not traded in any national stock exchanges. The OTCBB electronically provide real time quote for domestic as well as foreign stocks and ADRs and also displays previous days trading activity in DPPs. More than 200 market makers are registered at the OTCBB. Over the counter bulletin boards are preferred over pink sheets.
Pink Sheets: Pink sheets is published and maintained by Pink Sheets LLC and it displays bid and asked quotation prices of different penny stocks. Companies listed in pink sheets are most risky as most of the companies easily meet the minimum requirement for listing.
Penny stocks at pink sheets are thinly traded. Many companies pay traders for selling these penny stocks and thus brokers uses all fraudulent activities to sell the shares and evade money from people.
Market Makers: In some of the cases, only a few market makers are actively involved in a specific penny stocks and buy and sell these specific securities only. Dealing with a market maker is preferable, as the market maker not only sells the specific stocks but it also buys the stocks. Around 230 market makers are approved by the OTCBB and these market makers buy and sell stocks on regular basis. It is also preferable to see that more number of market makers is available for specific stocks. Lower number of market makers can influence or manipulate the specific stocks. In such a case the investment in the specific penny stock is risky as these few market makers can control the prices of the stocks and thus can keep a wide gap between the sale and buying prices of the stock. In recent past some of the market makers were found to involve in the fraudulent activities.
Summary: There is a full-fledged market of penny stocks and penny stocks are traded at over the counter bulletin boards (OTCBB) and pink sheets. OTCBB is governed by the rules and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission of United States.